Tuesday, March 8, 2011

David Sgambellone is February's Winner.

David took this Street View from Prague and made it romantic and beautiful enough that even the folks who live next door might want to "go there."  From a neighborhood in Prague, through an artist in California, to your desktop for your enjoyment.  David won $250 for his effort.  At the end of this post are some of the judges comments about this and the other finalists.

Sunshine on a Cloudy Day
by David Sgambellone



Some of our Judges notes:

My choice for First Place is David Sgamballone's watercolor. It's avery nicely rendered composition of a quaint country scene which brings to mind photos I've seen taken by Marie Zahnova. Second choice is Tilan Ti's oil. The Impressionistic style romanticizes the scene and the horizontal format emphasizes the bridge which holds the composition together...very nice!

The 12 x 12 oil by Layne Cook is worth mentioning. It's a strong, successful painting in all respects. . but it could be anywhere
-----------------
My first choice was – and still is… 12 x 16 Watercolor by David Sgamballone

It makes me feel like sunning myself in the garden.
--------------------
I cast my vote for Tilan Ti.  It's beautifully done and captures the spirit of Prague.
--------------------
My favorite painting of the group other than of course my own is "Sunshine on a Cloudy Day" by David Sgamballone. I like it because it is peaceful. It also shows a way of life for someone living in Prague. 
--------------------
I vote for the 12.5 x 35.5 oil painting by Tilan TI.
----------------
 I pick the  9 x 7 Gouache on Paper by Chris Ousley as the winner.
I felt that he gave us a winning combination of subject, composition and style. I have never been to Prague but I feel that I now have a sense of the place - the history, the architecture and the landscape. The people and the swans bring it all to life. I feel Chris did an outstanding job with the tricky  perspective. The hard lines of the bridge are nicely balanced by the movement in the water and the simple palette makes this a winner!

-----------------
I like Layne cook's first. The brushwork and colors
then tian ti The depth and atmosphere
3rd David Larson Evans. Nice clean color



No comments: