Saturday, November 20, 2010

Small Works of Art Make GREAT Gifts for Collectors

Captain Cook Hawaii by JoAnn Simon
ATCO - 2.5 x 3.5" Watercolor 

JoAnn just sent me her web address and I looked for her painting on the blog.  Only to find I hadn't posted it.  It IS in the contest, collecting votes, but I forgot to post it.  I know why.  It's because I wanted to talk about ACEOs or ATCO.  Art Cards Editions and Originals and Artist Trading Card Originals, and to make it even more confusing, sometimes SFA or Small Format Art.

I colledt ACEOs which by definition are original pieces of art in the EXACT size of 2.5 x 3.5 (just like Baseball Trading Cards) and there is a huge market for these small works of art on Ebay and other online sites like ETSY et all.

I really like the idea of Artists "trading" original cards for each other to share their work.  To have an opportunity to hold the work of art in your hand.  Feel the texture of the particular medium and many times it leads to the purchase of a larger work.

Some artists only work in miniature and you there will never be a larger painting to purchase or hold.  The small works can be grouped together and matted in such a way to showcase these small treasures in any way you like.

I have posted on my Joy of Painting blog about the OPA on my wall (that's other people's art) well one of my favorite artists does all ACEOs and she holds a special place on my wall.  I'll share that some day soon. If there's some extra hours in a day coming up soon???  Yes?  Please !

1 comment:

Favre said...

I just started painting...I like the Idea of baseball card sized art....I will do one tonight as a matter of Fact...send you a copy if you want...Thanks